Re: IDE-problems

> > Your error message looks like the disk doesn't like one of the feature set
> > commands the kernel sends it. I'll have to look at the IDE driver to see
> > if that's the DMA setting or some other drive command. Did you try
> > hda=noautotune, and does this happen with all kernel versions?
>
> As raf mentioned in the other reply to my org. posting, this happens
> with kernel versions 2.2.15-2.2.17, but I think I sometimes had them
> with 2.2.14 too, yet much less often. And it happens both with and
> without hda=autotune.

I've had a look at the code and the setfeature command in fact is the
multiword DMA enable.

You could try the following to narrow down the problem further:

- omit the -p in the wakeup hdparm command, to make sure we're not running
into a problem with PIO mode autotune here (the kernel option is kind of
defeated by that option for all I can see).

- add a -x34 after the -d1 in the wakeup command (see hdparm man page).

- try the sleep and wakeup hdparm commands without actually putting the
machine to sleep, both with and without forcing the disk to stand by or
power down  immediately. The problem might just be too short a timeout for
the wakeup, so the whole set of commands should succeed without standby,
and fail with standby.

	Michael