Potato on RS/6000 F50 four-way

Hello all.

I have successfully installed Debian 2.2 Potato on an IBM F50 with 4
cpus.  Unfortunatly, I need to recompile the kernel to support SMP, and
among other things, MSDOS filesystem.  I have had a rough time trying to

get a kernel to compile (using source for 2.2.17) and I was hoping maybe

someone had some tips for me as to which kernels are best suited for
this machine, etc.

I've also been trying to get a decent window manager installed for X.  I

would prefer KDE, but when I try to "apt-get install kdebase", I am told

that kdebase has a broken dependency for "rman" (reverse man pages
builder I believe) and that the package is not installable b/c rman has
no installation candidate.

Finally, console-apt won't install because libapt-pkg2.6 is
unavailable.  I *really* like capt, so that's just sort of on the wish
list.

If anyone can aid me to resolve any of these problems, I'd be quite very

obliged.

Thanks as always,

Matt