strange bug in xserver-fbdev

Powerbook 2400, latest debian kernel (2.2.16pre4)

Somewhere between xbase-clients 3.3.6-6 and  3.3.6-9, startx stopped
working.  Granted, it was a little buggy before, but now it's all
buggy.

Here's the situation:

Before (xbase-clients_3.3.6-6), when I would run startx for the first
time, the X server would come up, the screen would get the default X
pattern (the dots) and the X cursor would come up, but everything would
be blue instead of grey.  The cursor could be moved around with the
mouse.  After a second or two of nothing but the dots and the cursor,
the server would crash with a Sig 11.  The next time I would run
startx, everything would work fine.

Now (xbase-clients_3.3.6-9), startx will only bring up the blue-tinted
X server, and it crashes every time.  However, XDM exhibits the same
behavior that startx did before (blue screen, X server crash, then
normal operation).  And, after XDM has been stopped, startx will work
normally once, then revert back to the blue screen and crashing.

I can't seem to get XF68_FBDev to dump core, so I don't know where the
error is occuring, but it seems that something is different between XDM
and startx, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what.  Can
anyone shed some light on this?

tew
--
      'Beauty will be convulsive or will not be at all.' - A. Breton
                    Ted Whalen - tew@introvert.net