Re: G4, debian, and Cinema Display

David Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 04:15:02PM -0700, Kimball Thurston wrote:
> >    I've got debian linux running wonderfully on a G4 - eventually I'll
> > write up a howto and send it on, as I didn't find any documents that
> > covered the G4 entirely, but anyways.
>
> You're not alone.  I think it works great.  The HOWTO would be real handy,
> though.

I will try to type up a mini-howto tonight, perhaps this weekend.

> >   I convinced the boss to get a cinema display for SIGGRAPH, which is
> > really cool, but I can't get the standard ATI 128 frame buffer to kick
> > in and display anything to the cinema display. Does anyone have a modedb
> > entry to get the cinema display to work?
>
> Wow.  I think the digital out connector is the second head on the ATI 128.
> I've heard rumors of support for it in XFree86 4.0, but I don't know where.
> It is definately more than just getting the timing right.

Ok, I'll bite. Is there a way not to use the frame buffer X server with
the G4? Or frame buffers at all? - just a vga startup mode, and then use
the ATI accelerated X server?

I thought you had to use frame buffers. I'd gladly get rid of them if I
could...

thanks,

--
Kimball