Re: fb-related kernel panic?

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 11:53:02AM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:
> > I've been having issues with my video.
> >
> > Standard G3-'99, with a rage128. Seems that if I use fbset to change my
> > video mode to 1280x1024 (on console), as soon as I hit the bottom of the
> > screen, I kernel-panic...except it doesn't even tell me. :) It just beeps,
> > locks, and reboots 3 minutes later. Neat, huh?
>
> i don't remember if i have ever paniced the kernel messing with fbset
> (i think so...)  but i have paniced the kernel by using the scrollback
> buffer and gpm at the same time.
>
> i have never been able to do anything useful with fbset however,
> everything i try just scrambles the screen...

:) I've got a Dell/Trinitron monitor, so it must just be more robust then
yours. fbset itself never caused the panic, it behaved fine. Mayhaps it's
an incompatibility between bash and the fb-driver?

> > I also have the problem if I run MOL in 1280x1024 on VC8, and I switch
> > back to X.
> i don't use X on this box so i don't know.

I'm assuming that it crashes no matter what I switch back to, because of
the video mode...X or not, it doesn't like 1280x1024.

> > Anyone else have this problem? Is it a kernel-fb driver, fbset, what?
> i think the aty128fb driver is a bit buggy.  it has one obnoxious bug
> that causes the screen to go black everytime i switch VCs.  still no
> solution to that yet..

Mine doesn't go black, however it does seem to resync the videomode half
the time (monitor clicks and flickers like it's changing resolutions)

I figure it's the fb-driver then. And I'm not skilled enough to even
attempt to debug it. :) Anyone know if the 2.4 kernel tree behaves any
better?

> > Not to mention, anyone on a G3 got X running in >1024x768? I can't seem to
> > get it...
>
> hmm  my kernel always boots the frambuffer to 1024x768 and fbdev X
> server just retains that by default the few times i have tried X..
> (you mean blue G3 '99 right?)

Yep. That's what happens on mine too. Anyone know how to change the
default boot-up video mode? I tried playing with my yaboot additions
"video=aty128fb:vmode=24:cmode=32" but nothing I changed made any
difference.

Thanks in advance...

-JM