Re: compiling kernel

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 11:53:36PM -0500, Josh wrote:

> libncurses-dev | ncurses-dev, task-tcltk-dev, kernel-package were installed
> bin 86 couldn't be found (ftp.debian.org, ftp.us.debian.org)

bin86 is an intel specific package, ignore it.

> >tell me again what process your using for building the kernel?
> >make-kpkg or make config && make dep && make vmlinux && make
> >modules_modules ?
>
> make oldconfig
> make dep
> make vm linux
> That's where I get stuck
>
> The first time I did this, booted from 2.2.15, I had the /include links, and I

what include links?  you aren't redhatizing your system by replacing
/usr/include/linux with a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/linux are
you?

> was able to compile ok and boot.  Should I do 'make config' instead of 'make
> oldconfig' and redo the configuration?  Should I boot from 2.2.15 and try from
> there??

i doubt the config would make a problem like this but you never know..

have you tried extracting a clean copy of the kernel sources and
running make mrproper?  you should probably apply the Alan Cox
2.2.16combo patch too.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/