bootx vs yaboot vs ?

Please excuse my ignorance in this issue. I've installed slackware and bsd on
my pc but this mac linux install has got me in a loop :)

I've created a bootable debian potato cdrom from the ftp site.
It boots up fine right into the installer.
My drive is partioned already,
I follow the steps...set keyboard, initialize swap..root..etc...,
install kerner and modules, pick my device driver modules,
configure my network, install my base from the cdrom,
configure it and......... I'm failing after this point.
Now i know my Mac has no clue how to boot my linux OS
and I guess I'm looking for advice and help on which method to use,

I am installing this on a g4 350, internal zip, cdrom, no floppy.

Against the warning of Bootx documents on new world macs:
Tried BootX with an image placed it in appropiate place, chose setup
in BootX pointed it to the .gz file. Strike the magic linux button and...
a click but just freezes my screen and goes nowhere. I have all the files
suggested (linux, bootargs, boot-floppy-hfs.img, driver-1.bin ect) and
in the right places. I assume os 9.0.4 has a lot to do with this as I've
read.

guess what I need to know is what to do to get my machine to give me
a choice of whether I should boot to macos (one its own partition) or
linux.
I know yaboot should be my hero :) But let's just say I'm not catching on
to something cause I simply lack the skillz atm :)

any help is greatly appreciated and I def do deserve the echo of snickers :p

-aaron