Re: Paul's 2.2.15 does not boot a 7200

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 01:37:05PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > i highly doubt)  i don't know what boot loader embedded devices are
> > using but im sure its different then quik/yaboot
>
> I see no reason why they wouldn't work with quick/yaboot since the
> decompressor is embedded in the boot image as well. Hence the boot loader is
> not aware that there's any compression.

iirc Ben has told me that the decompressor in the kernel is broken on
Powermacs.

> BTW, is there no `decompressing kernel image' output on PowerMac? It's possible
> that it's not visible on PowerMacs with inferior OF and only serial OF support.
> And how large is your boot image? Is it smaller than `vmlinux'?

the next time i have to reboot i will try a zImage compressed kernel
with yaboot just to see, i will also try a plain gzipped kernel (a la
sparc) to see if yaboot inherited the ability to degzip kernels itself
from its great grandfather SILO.

at the moment i have a 25 day uptime, and i don't think the compressed
kernel question is interesting enough to ruin it ;-)

also in regards to debian, kernel-package does not pack the compressed
images, only the vmlinux and vmlinux.coff.  so with quik on debian
there will never be a vmlinuz to boot.  (unless you make one yourself)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/