Re: QUIK on the 7200

mbrubeck@hmc.edu said:
> There's a wide world of PowerPC hardware beyond Apple's PowerMacs. If
> you want to ignore it, that's fine. But please don't insult those who
> want a useful operating system on the hardware that they own now. And
> be careful about your assumptions --- much of that hardware is quite
> different from the Apple machines you are used to, and its users'
> needs are different as well.

I would also like to mention that OF-booting becomes significantly more
practical (ie, reliable) on oldworlds if you get the System Disk utility from
Apple's Darwin OS and let it install the patches to OF that it will make -
things actually usually work the way they should after that... it's amazing
:-) Unfortunately, it's only help for machines that Darwin supports.

/me wonders if the source to that MacOS util is available somewhere in CVS
there, bets it is - a linux util to do the same nvram patching could be
useful, then the 'making the disk bootable' could actually have a chance of
working.

For anyone interested in OF-booting, I think netbsd has the best docs on it
right now... they even have an nvram patch that claims to fix video on some of
the oldworlds where it doesn't 'just work' (thus sparing you serial console).
My OF (beige G3) works pretty well, so I can't vouch as to all the patches
they have available...