Re: debian on the 7200

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 01:25:40PM -0500, Jim wrote:

> Yeah, the LinuxPPC 2000 CD boots great on an old-world powermac, using what
> looks to me like miBoot... but Debian is so much nicer.

yes it does use miboot, that is what miboot was designed for.  however
the implementation has several problems that make it unsuitable for
Debian:

it requires a non-free proprietary Apple CD driver on the CD.  this is
the bugger for debian.  unlike other distributions debian is committed
to Free software, completly.

it requires the main partition to be real HFS, this means that no
.debs can be kept on the first CD since many of them have filenames
longer then 31 characters.  debian's dpkg/dselect/apt developers are
not going to insert kludges to deal with broken, trunicated
filenames.  the extra driver partitions also make mounting the CD
under linux less reliable (it often does not work, and does not work
at all on 2.3 kernels) [0]

linuxppc CD images are generated with non-free software on macos, this
is not acceptable to a distribution like Debian.

debian does however have working, macos-free boot floppies which
provide a very intel like [1] bootstrap experience for the oldworld
powermacs.

[0] the newworld boot CDs are a single partition with a fake partition
table with hybrid ISO9660/HFS filesystem.  the hybrid ISO has no
problems with long filenames (with rockridge anyway) this also
provides no unreliability or problems mounting the CD under linux (as
ISO9660 of course)

[1] read easy and painless.

--
Ethan Benson