summary of my iMac install

Hi,

For the moment are only summarised the first steps of my install.
I don't have the time to try to make the X11 part to function which is
for me the last step before a full installed box.

I have the file under tex and ps format (size 71858)

If somebody is interested by having the ps one, just email me.

O+ xavier

grave@ipno.in2p3.fr
33 (0) 1 69 15 79 59

                  ,/{}
                ,/  {|
            ,,,/    {|,
      __--~~        {| ~-,
__--~~              {     `\
                        ,__ \
                       `,\{),\,
                      __-~  `_ ~-_
                   _-~        ~~-_`~-_
                  '               `~-_`~-__
                  `,                  `~-\_|
                   `,      _-----___    _,'
                   / /--__  ~~--__  `~,~
                    /     ~~--__  ~-',
                   /            ~~--'
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
\usepackage{draftcopy}

\def\imac{{\sc iMac}}
\def\debian{{\sc Debian}}
\def\linux{{\sc Linux}}
\def\macos{{\sc Mac Os}}
\def\hfs{{\sc Hfs}}
\def\powerpc{{\sc PowerPc}}

\begin{document}
\tableofcontents
\section{Introduction}
Just a try to help people to install \debian~\linux~on an \imac~DVD. Yaboot
is hightly recommended to make your \imac~to boot. So you will have to
reformat deeply (?) your disk.
\section{Needed material}
For my install I used~:
\begin{itemize}
\item The installation CD for \macos~(here version 9)
\item The potato CD\footnote{MD5SUM~: e640f6c21e8ef4d383e01a9ba7c16af5} from
\subitem ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian-cd/potato\_test-cycle-2/
\end{itemize}
\section{The install itself}
Boot your \debian~CD by maintaining the 'c' key pressed during boot.
Just follow the usual \debian~process after you have created two partitions
under \macos~with the installation CD if you want to keep \macos~part.
\subsection{\macos~part}
I've done part of what is described in this message~:\\
{\bf http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-powerpc-0004/msg00218.html}\\
Ethan Benson said~:\\
``boot a macos CD\\
run apples drive setup program\\
reinitailize the disk, create 2 partitions, the first should be the
total size of all the linux partitions you want to create.  do not try
to make linux partitions with apples program, it won't work.  just
make it HFS since we will delete this partition later anyway.
\\
the second partition is your macos parititon.
\\
install macos on the second macos partition.''
\subsection{Keyboard}
For French user, avoid to use the French keyboard for the moment. The q key
doesn't function. It can be a little difficult to use fdisk without... When you
first boot under \linux~just use kbdconfig and chose the mac-fr3 keyboard.
After reboot I had a problem so I found the directory where the default.kmap.gz
was stored and replaced it by the mac-fr3.kmap.gz.
\subsection{Formatting}
You have to delete the \hfs~partition you have reserved for \linux. On it you
create a Apple\_Bootstrap partition\footnote{$\simeq 800kB$} (name bootstrap)
with the C command. For
the swap partition I think you have to name it Swap that it can be recognised
for linux swap by mac-fdisk, if you type swap instead it doesn't function
(at least for me it didn't work). After you can partition as you like...
\subsection{Bootable from hard disk}
The quik part doesn't seem to function on my \imac, so I executed a shell and
typed~:\\
{\bf mkofboot -b /dev/hda9 --timeout 100 --label linux --root /dev/hda11
--magicboot /target/usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples/ofboot.b}\\
where the partition 9 is my Apple\_Bootstrap partition and partition 11 my
root partition. With this when you reboot your \imac~you reboot under
\debian~and can continue the install.
\subsection{Multi Boot}
After all is installed, just edit the file /etc/yaboot.conf according to your
configuration and copy the file /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples/menu\_ofboot.b
in /boot, do a link with something like this~: ``ln -s menu\_ofboot.b
ofboot.b''. After just type ybin. When you will boot next time if you want
\debian~\linux~don't do anything, if you want \macos~press the space bar during
boot time.
\section{Special thanks}
Thanks to Ethan Benson and Martijn van de Streek for the help they give me to
boot my \imac~DVD under \debian~\linux. Thanks also to the people who are
involved in \powerpc~\debian~maintaining, I like to work under \debian~:-)
\section*{Author}
Xavier Grave\\
grave@ipno.in2p3.fr
\end{document}