Re: Paul's 2.2.15 does not boot a 7200

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 02:29:54PM -0400, James Waterhouse wrote:
> Hello all,
>     I'm having trouble booting on a 7200. When I boot I get the following
> message printed on my serial console:
>
>     Open Firmware, 1.0.5
>     bla bla bla...
>     0 > boot Second-stage QUIK loader
>     boot:
>
>     Inode error #2133571404 while loading file /vmlinuz
>     Image not found.... try again

PPC tends to not use compressed images

>     boot: /boot/vmlinux
>
>     Inode error #2133571404 while loading file /boot/vmlinux
>     Image not found.... try again

quik does not appear to care for symlinks AFAICT.  (ive only used quik
by proxy of someone over irc...)

>     boot: /boot/vmlinux-2.2.15
>     Starting at 0
>     opening display /platinum@F8000000... failed
>     copying OF device tree...done
>         can't OPEN scsi/sd@0:0

this is PRECISLY what is happening on my friends machine.  i have
found no solution for him.  nobody seems to give a damn whether
anything works with quik or 7200's.

> and it goes no further.  Can any one tell me what the problem is? Any help
> would be greatly apreciated.

i would like to know too.  im glad i don't own any oldworld powerpc
hardware, if i did i think i would get rid of it.

> thanks,
> James
>
> p.s. by the way my OF varriables are:
>         boot-device        scsi/sd@0:0

correct.

>         boot-file               scsi/sd@0:3/boot/vmlinux-2.2.15
> root=/dev/sda3

boot-file is completly unecessary if you have a properly configured
/etc/quik.conf  in fact it tends to fsck things up.  use quik.conf not
boot-file.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/