Re: apache

Be sure the loopback is enabled.

Either put the lines
	#! /bin/sh
	ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
into /etc/init.d/network (the pre-2.2 style)

or the make sure the line
	iface lo inet loopback
is not commented out in /etc/network/interfaces.

/etc/hosts should contain:
	127.0.0.1       localhost       yourMachine.domain.com
	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx	  yourMachine.domain.com   yourMachine
You can add
	yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy   anotherMachine.another.dom   anotherMachine
and can 'ssh anotherMachine' as shortcut to 'ssh
anotherMachine.another.dom' etc.

/etc/hostname would be:
	yourMachine

Restart the machine once the settings are correct.

Andre