Re: gnome broken in potato

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 10:50:41AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> I've installed potato on a brand new machine. Everything went fine
> (congrats, Dan, for the installer !) except that the gnome packages
> appear to be broken.
>
> gnome-panel can't be installed, there's apparently a conflict with gnome-
> panel-data requiring gnome-core >= 1.0.55-2 while only 1.0.55-1 is available.

probably the silly build daemon decided not to build it, try this:

cd /usr/src
mkdir gnome-core
cd gnome-core
apt-get -b source gnome-core

either as root or wrap the apt-get command in fakeroot, that should
build you a binary .deb for gnome-core 1.0.55-2 which you can install
by:

dpkg -i gnome-core-blah-blah-blah.deb

i do this all the time for various packages the build daemon
natoriously neglects to build, i don't think i have ever had a problem
with it.  once the official debian package is installed in the archive
it will be installed over your locally compiled .deb.

welcome aboard!

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/