fetchmail trouble was potato installation bug

It took a couple of weeks and gallons of coffee to fix a bug that made
it impossible to fetch my mail with fetchmail; the whole thing finally
turned out to be a potato installation bug.

I installed via base2_2.tgz, creation date Mar 18 on my HDD, which I
downloaded from www.them.org. I have no permanent
network connection and chose the PPP installation.

Fetchmail, whose configuration was definitely ok, logged in, listed
the messages, rewrote some headers and them stopped (timed out). I
reinstalled it a few times, the same thing; nobody knew why.

Finally I figured out it wasn't fetchmail's fault; it wasn't able to
connect to localhost. The potato installer hadn't installed
/etc/init.d/network (or started /etc/init.d/networking, don't know
about that). I made /etc/init.d/network as follows (executable):

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1

et voila, fetchmail works. What gave me the idea was that I couldn't
ping localhost.

If somebody knows what to do to make this executed automatically at startup,
please give me a hint. Dist maintainers, please verify if this issue
still exists.

Thanks for your time,

Andre

--