Re: Debian CD-images

On 15-Maj-00, you wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 11:11:41PM +0100, Björn Johansson wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I found some cd-images at:
>> ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/
>> After I have burned the potato-powerpc-x.raw files to different cd:s,
>> how do I proceed with the install? I haven't downloaded these files yet,
>> just wanted to know how it works. Is there any docs on this?
>
> well, if they did the CDs right they should boot newworld macs by just
> holding down the `c' key while booting your machine with the disc in the
> CDROM.
>
> for oldworld macs you need to download the boot floppies to boot your
> machine.  you need actual floppies for oldworlds.  once your booted
> installing is pretty much the same as on intel machines, except for
> boot loader setup, if your on a newworld box let me know and ill send
> you the missing sections of the install docs for yaboot/ybin setup.
> (im going to post those on my web page for the time being later tonite)
>
>> --
>> Kind regards Björn "Bear" Johansson
>>
>> http://bounce.to/amigafreak
>>

>> --

I should be able to use these cd:s with Dselect, right? A friend of mine
burned a couple of cd:s with *a lot* of packages, so he burned down all
the packages directly from the ftp. Maybe the method with the big
files(ISO-images) on each cd works better?

Since I have an Amiga, no Mac, I won't be able to use this feature(booting
from CD), not because the Amiga can't boot CD:s, but because they use
different loaders. But if the software on the CD could recognize the
hardware before initializing the installation, so if it is an Amiga it will
use
bootstrap and if it's a Mac it will use Yaboot(or BootX). But this hardware
recognition would probably require more work than it's worth, and besides,
there's not so many Amiga-Linux users out there, I think?