Re: what the hell is ``bondi blue?''

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 10:03:46AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 08:11:26AM -0400, Chad Miller wrote:
> > I'd like to thank developers for the ppc install.  It was beautiful,
> > installing Potato on an iMac last night.  (Well, as much as using an iMac
> > _can_ be beautiful.)
>
> Great to hear!
>
> > My only suggestions: offer the newer BootX, note that a recent unstuffer
> > is necessary to untar^H^H^Hstuff them, and offer more info (I'll compile
> > mine) on what options BootX should have for initial booting (and it might
> > vary, by machine).
>
> So, write me some docs.
>
> This is a call for documentation.  If you look in the 'boot-floppies'
> package you'll see a whole bunch of SGML sources that need PowerPC
> information.

i might be persuaded to write some of the yaboot/bootstrap stuff but
it woudl be good to know exactly what your planning for dbootstrap on
those? are you going to make any attempts to activate the `make disk
bootable' on newworlds?  or is it up to the user?

also i know someone who was looking at adding support to mac-fdisk to
change a partitions type, useful for those who followed LinuxPPC's
bogus advice and failed to make the bootstrap partition an
Apple_Bootstrap and now have MacOS ruining the ybin setup. i may also
convince him to add a new command to create bootstrap partitions more
directly.  (instead of manually with the `C' command) i don't know if
he will finish this in time for debian or not (if he really does want
to work on mac-fdisk this much)

at a minimum i think it would be good for dbootstrap to check for a
bootstrap on a newworld and complain loudly if its missing. ;-)

> I thought I was using the most recent BootX... isn't 1.2.1 in there?

one really should not be using bootx on iMacs anyway, especially if
they have MOS9 on them.  1.2.1 i think is the curent stable bootx,
ther are some exprimental versions for newworld/OS9 hacks but its
clear that bootx on newworld/MOS9 is mostly a lost cause. just use
yaboot its better way to go anyway.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/