Re: /etc/X11/Xmodmap re-revisited

On Thu, Mar 2, 2000, Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>
wrote:

>> So we need to have this fixed in a way or another. My idea is basically
>> to extend the mecanism used for x86 to all archs instead of just failing
>> compile, and leave the exceptional conversion to ADB keycodes for
>> powermacs, but instead of making it a compile time option, make it a
>> _runtime_ option so that the common CHRP/PREP/PMAC kernel won't try to do
>> ADB keycodes on non-pmac machines.
>
>So what are you gonna do on my box when I install a PCI USB adapter? Then I
>can have PS/2, ADB and USB keyboards.

if you box is a CHRP, then...

The current kernel will either map the USB keycodes to ADB if you have
enabled support for mac ADB keyboard or will not compile the USB keyboard
driver if you didn't.

with the patch I have in mind, USB keycodes will be treated like on a PC
(which, I think, translates some keycodes only but I don't know the
details). This is probably the solution which will work better for you,
won't it ?

Note that the latest bk tree I have lacks the ADB conversion support for
one of the 2 USB keyboard drivers (the input driver looks ok but the boot
protocol driver doesn't have the table any more). Looks like this is
appearing/disappearing repately (is the driver rewritten every month ? :)

Ben.