Re: yaboot on sawtooth G4

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 08:55:11PM -0600, pohl wrote:

<snip>

> Here's where I'm stuck:  In order to run ybin, I have to get
> linux started again.  Unfortunately, I think that I may have
> broken yaboot_0.4 by placing the MacOS partition towards the
> end of my disk.  In Open Firmware, it complains:
>
>     boot: hd:yaboot_0.4
>     Can't open config file, err: -2

yaboot 0.4 had a bug that caused it to fail to find the config file
most of the time.

if you get a boot: prompt you can enter the command:

hd:<linuxroot>,/boot/vmlinux-2.2.14

where <linuxroot> is the partition number of your linux root
partition.  and vmlinux-2.2.14 is the name of your kernel, yaboot 0.5
will allow you to point it at a symbolic link unlike 0.4, this is
useful so you can have in your config image=/vmlinux and so long as
you keep your symlinks good yaboot will always work.

> It had no trouble reading this configuration file before.
> I thought to try the most recent yaboot_0.5, but open firmware
> claims to not be able to yaboot_0.5 executable at all:
>
>     boot: hd:yaboot_0.5
>     Can't open hd:yaboot_0.5

hmm, ive had problems with yaboot being downloaded compressed but
either netscape or ben's web server was removing the .gz from the
name...

> (So it looks like yaboot_0.4 had better luck.)

maybe for now, you really want 0.5. 0.4 is really buggy. (and slow)

> Now, the difference between these to yaboot executables is that
> version 0.4 came in a stuffit bundle from yellowdoglinux.com,
> whereas version 0.5 came gzipped from Benjamin's page.

stuffit?? gross no need to use that gratuitously proprietary, unix
hostile archive format.. maybe there is some download issues going on
from ben's server (*cough* bloody netscape *cough*)

> On my linux/intel box, they are identified slightly differently.
> Could it be that being stripped causes yaboot_0.5 to fail
> to load?  It wouldn't make sense to me, but that's the only difference
> I can see.

hmm don't see why, all that does is remove debugging symbols useful
for gdb, since there is really no OF debugger per se that would make
use of them they really only waste space...

[eb@socrates eb]$ ls -l /boot/yaboot
-r--r--r--    1 root     root        53832 Jan 16 12:07 /boot/yaboot
[eb@socrates eb]$ file /boot/yaboot
/boot/yaboot: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500,
version 1, statically linked, stripped
[eb@socrates eb]$ md5sum /boot/yaboot
ad80f1f38c4627ffe94064be2c4088ef  /boot/yaboot
[eb@socrates eb]$

mine is stripped and that is what I am running...

> Also, does anybody happen to know what an error code of -2
> implies in 0.4?

yup, there was a bug causing yaboot to trunicate/garble the OF path to
the yaboot.conf file so it was asking for something bogus and OF said
obviously that no such file existed.

> $ file yaboot_0.5
> yaboot_0.5: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500,
> version 1, statically linked, stripped
>
> $ file yaboot_0.4
> yaboot_0.4: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500,
> version 1, statically linked, not stripped
>
> $ ls -l yaboot*
> -rw-r--r--    1 pohl     pohl       146804 Feb 28 20:15 yaboot_0.4
> -rw-rw-r--    1 pohl     pohl        53832 Feb 27 20:00 yaboot_0.5
                                       ^^^^^

same as mine... see above.

> Now, just in case anybody is wondering whether or not I'm
> correctly referencing the right partition when I try to start
> yaboot from Open Firmware, I've tried referencing the numerical
> partition directly, with the same results.  I've verified that
> I've counted the partitions correctly by booting MacOS from
> OF with like this...
>
>      boot hd:9,\\:tbxi

ah ha, this won't work unless A) the file acutally has file type tbxi
AND B) the root directory is blessed, AND C) the file is a CHRP
script.  OF refuses to execute yaboot when it finds it as a tbxi type
file so what i had to do was use a wrapper CHRP script instead (either
one that has a boot menu or one that simply runs boot hd:\\yaboot ) OF
is really wierd...

try this:

boot hd:<partnumber>,yaboot  to load yaboot directly, then see the
docs in ybin for how to set that up right for transparent booting.

--
Ethan Benson