Re: [PowerMac] pdisk for Debian?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 03:20:31PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> > > The licence can be found in
> >
> > It seems terribly non-free and the source does not seem to be available :-(
>
> ftp://ftp.mklinux.org/pub/mklinux-pre-R1/ppc/RedHat/RPMS/pdisk-0.7-2.ppc.rpm
> ftp://ftp.mklinux.org/pub/mklinux-pre-R1/SRPMS/SRPMS/pdisk-0.7-2.src.rpm
>
> As for how free it is, I'm not totally sure.  It was done by apple, and
> pre-APSL.  It's also definatly not GPL'ed.  However, there is perldisk
> which is GPL'ed and does apple-style partition maps and HFS.
>
> ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/bbresen/perldisk/

debian includes mac-fdisk in the base which AFAICT is the same program
as pdisk.

[eb@socrates mac-fdisk]$ cat /usr/share/doc/mac-fdisk/copyright
This package was debianized by Michael Schmitz
schmitz@lcbvax.cchem.berkeley.edu on
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:58:07 -0800.

It was downloaded from ftp.mklinux.apple.com:/pub/Other_Tools/

[eb@socrates mac-fdisk]$ cat /usr/share/doc/mac-fdisk/copyright
This package was debianized by Michael Schmitz schmitz@lcbvax.cchem.berkeley.edu on
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:58:07 -0800.

It was downloaded from ftp.mklinux.apple.com:/pub/Other_Tools/

Copyright:

 * Copyright 1996,1997 by Apple Computer, Inc.
 *              All Rights Reserved
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
 * its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
 * provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies and
 * that both the copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
 * supporting documentation.
 *
 * APPLE COMPUTER DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE
 * INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
 * FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 *
 * IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE COMPUTER BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR
 * CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM
 * LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
 * NEGLIGENCE, OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
 * WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
[eb@socrates mac-fdisk]$

looks like a BSD style licence to me.

--
Ethan Benson