Re: PowerPC bootdisks for potato release.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 08:23:56PM -0800, Brad Midgley wrote:
> > The other possibility is the 'hybrid' ISO/HFS format -- will Macs boot that
> > or is it a no-go?
>
> my experience is that new world macs' OF will see the iso side and fail to
> boot because the iso driver is so poor. i haven't tried this recently with
> yaboot though.
>
> if there's a way to tell OF to try hfs FIRST then a hybrid might work.
>
> it's such a pain working within the constraints of hfs... so what we're
> doing at turbolinux is making disk 2 (source) hfs+bootable and ignoring
> the fact that some filenames are truncated.

yuck..

I am beginning to think that the better option is a boot CD and a
second ISO format CD which is not bootable, once your booted you
remove the boot CD and use the binary CDs which are in ISO format.  I
think this is what Apple did with Rhapsody/OSXS it does however
increase the number of CDs but hell CDs are so bloody cheap what does
it matter? (IMO anyway)

this would work actually quite well for Debian, Boot CD with the base
tarball and root ramdisk in HFS format to accomidate booting, it can
also include the macos utilities like BootX for those who want them,
install docs etc.  second/third CDs in ISO9660 format only used after
the base is installed, the rest of the CDs for source code in ISO
format as well. debian is already multi-cd anyway so i don't see this
as that much of a problem..

sounds like a plan to me, comments?

--
Ethan Benson