Re: kernel wont boot on my g4

"David P. Reese Jr." wrote:

> ive mannaged to get yaboot installed and as it tries to boot,
> it successfully loads the kernel image and the ramdisk but
> it puts the machine to sleep when it tries to boot.  bootx
> also fails to boot.  it stops at the 'booting kernel...' step.
>
> anyone out there who has managed to boot linux on a g4, what
> kernel arguments work?  someone has to have booted on a
> newworld g4!

This sounds like what happened on my machine (Sawtooth G4/450) when I first
tried to boot Linux on my machine. The stock vmlinux at debian.org will not work
on a Sawtooth. To boot, you'll need Ben Herrenschmidt's kernel, available at:

http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

This should boot.

yaboot putting the machine to sleep on boot? Don't know if the older kernel
causes that... by the time I got yaboot, I was using the ibook kernel from Ben.

Note that installing Debian is an "interesting" process... the install disk
won't recognize the G4. You'll get an "Architecture not supported" message.
The install process is bit tricky. "Installing Debian for PowerPC" at:

http://www.debian.org/~wmono/powerpc/

may help. It was written for the iMac DV, but its instructions should work on
the Sawtooth G4's as well.

Good luck.

Jason