Re: groff outdated on PPC, dselect again

I recently installed potato on a ppc, and I also went through the
frustrating and confusing dselect problems with the man-db package. I did
not have a problem with dselect wanting to install the mentioned libc6-bin
package, although it tried really hard to get me to install jgroff.

(dselect had a very confusing set of screens it runs through when it
thinks you have dependency problems, and I have found it has had trouble
detecting package status properly: it listed "man-db" as "installed" and
refused to download it from the server, even though the files were nowhere
to be found on my hard drive.)

My solution was to download the man-db package myself and install it with
dpkg: you can get it to ignore dependency issues by using the force
option:

dpkg -i --force depends man-db.[...].deb

This properly installed and configured the man-db package on my system. I
have (so far) not found any incompatibilities with groff-1.15-1, and have
finally been able to read man pages.

Maybe fastest solution to get dselect to install man-db properly would be
to relax it's requirments to 1.15-1 in the dependency tree? Unless there
are comptability problems I haven't seen yet... is 1.15-1 to 1.15-2 a
major revision?

Cheers,
Gary Steele