Re: booting from openfirmware

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2000, Logan Hall <Logan.Hall@asu.edu> wrote:
>
> >What computers does the SystemDisk tool support?  I have a Biege G3
> tower (the
> >ones that shipped just before they switched to B&W).  Also will the
> SystemDisk
> >tool work to boot linux at all?  I use BootX right now but I am looking into
> >other ways to boot Linux because I want to move to MacOS X when it comes out
> >and so I doubt i will beable to continue using BootX.  I have tried booting
> >from OF but i get Claim Failed! errors.  Is there a complete guide to getting
> >Linux booted from OF?
>
> SystemDisk supports almost all PCI powermacs (except maybe a few
> performa-like machines).
>
> It can be used to edit manually the OF variables, so virtually it can
> boot any OF-based OS. The patches it installs should make OF booting on
> old machines more reliable.

I have run quik on my Linux partition and using some examples i found in the
FAQ-O-MATIC i set my boot variables (i don't have them infront of me but this
is as close as i can remember):

boot-device /pci@80000000/Apple83C875Card@d/sd@0:0
boot-file /boot/vmlinux-2.2.14 video=atyfb:vmode:15,cmode:16,mclk:71

This gives me the claim failed error.  Have i done this correctly and just
need to apply the patches that come with the SystemDisk app?  or have i done
something wrong?

I will down load the SystemDisk app.. it is the one in the
ftp.apple.com/developer/macosxserver/utilites/ dir right?

> It's possible that in an undated future, SystemDisk will directly support
> choosing Linux in the list of possible OSes (actually boot devices). But
> I can't promise for now.
>
> In all cases, as soon as the new Darwin is out, I'll work hard into
> making a triple-boot solution that supports MacOS X, MacOS classic and
> Linux. I'll eventually add support for Linux booting in MacOS X
> bootloader. (The only issue I see so far is that it won't be able to load
> the kernel from ext2. The ext2 library is GPL, not LGPL, and so will
> conflict with the licence Apple uses for their stuffs. I may be able to
> work around this by loading a secondary bootstrap however).
>

> --

----
Logan

"O God of Earth and Altar,