Best way to save sound settings between reboots?

   Is there a standard way of saving the sound settings under Debian
between reboots? In LinuxPPC I used rhsound, which saved the volume level,
muted the internal speaker etc. when I rebooted.

It looks like gom would do the same thing under Debian, but it seems
to be broken on PowerPC (I filed a bug report. The configuration
script basically hangs). COuld someon suggest an alternative? Thanks,

          Renaud