OpenSSH tty problem

The latest ssh package (1.2.1pre24-1) appears to have an odd problem:

schwern@blackrider:~$ ssh athens.arena.com
You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read passphrase.

This problem occurs both in X (under xterm and Eterm) and on console.
I recompiled openssh 1.2.1pre24 from the Debian sources and got the
same problem (I didn't try just the original sources, though).

I finally compiled the non-free ssh Debian source and it works okay
which leads me to believe its not my tty but OpenSSH.