Re: Hesitating to take the plunge in Debian

On 12/1/2000 Renaud Dreyer wrote:

Ah... Well, I do have BootX  and the Linuxppc R5 install on my Mac
OS partition so it shouldn't be a problem.

I personally think its a good idea to get direct booting going, bootx seems to be having more problems with newer kernels, and is working less and less with newer machines (g4 class) its not too reliable on my blueg3, for newworld macs use yaboot, for oldworld I think quik works, BenH is working on something call Miboot for some other macs too (i think pre OF)

but aside from the stability issues I think its not very impressive when an OS needs to crutch on another OS just to boot! so eventually get OF booting going ;-)

There are a lot of things that worked better on my ancient MkLinux
system for example. I never had any problems with the keyboard
with MkLinux for example, but under Linuxppc, seemingly random
problems pop up with certain applications.

some keyboard stuff is still being worked out in the kernel as i understand it. but debian on the intel side anyway is the far and away best about keyboard issues, first unix i ever use where i never get ^H^H^H when i press backspace, regardless of what im using be it console or X. very nice.

 > pretty much, except debian handles the server differently, instead
 > you edit /etc/X11/Xserver to choose the real server.  no symlinks.
 > and i think Xpmac requires a kernel option or hack...

Yeah,  there's a "xpmac legacy" option when configuring the kernel under
Linuxppc, I assume it is the same under Debian.
I really hope the accelerated Xpmac works under Debian because going back
to the unaccelerated Rage Orion will not be fun... And the
accelerated Xfree86 is not as stable or fast as the Xpmac.

I don't see why i should not work, but I will leave someone else to comment, im not much up on X issues right now as the blueG3 is pretty much lost cause for reasonable X use till a server comes out for that card.

What a relief... How easy is it roll one's own Debian package
from a tarball?

this I am not certain of, I have never build a .deb before, look at the package maintainer's howto on the debian site (somewhere sorry don't have a link)

Extremely elegant! Since I want to Nextify my box as much as possible, this
is very important for me.

so do I, I wish there were more apps for GNUstep, and I am not sure of some of the few GNOME apps which are interesting can be made to look NeXTish without using the GNOME/E! bloat center (I prefer windowmaker for a windowmanager) unfortunately i doubt any theme will fix the menubars in the window, vertical menus are so much nicer....

Ah, something else I wanted to ask... I assume it's easy to chase down
a specific library after a compile aborts and asks for it?

dpkg -S whateverfileorpath

and if that does not work debian has two search engines for the entire archive one for packages/descriptions, the other for individual files. I think there is a userspace utility that does this so you don't have to use bloatscape too, i have not gotten around to looking at that yet.

I wish I'd knew all of this a month ago, when I installed Linuxppc and
started to slowly try to fix and optimize everything...  Ciao and thanks
again,

its amazing how linuxppc has a seemingly good reputation, but yet I cannot understand the bugs in that distro, I don't wish to really put them down for there work but they really need to do more testing and wait longer before releasing, even redhat who has a tendency to leave bugs in for release does not leave such a high number of frankly stupid problems...

anyway I am very pleased to have a non redhat alternative for the PPC arch, now i just wish i could compile a pure kernel from kernel.org and have it work!!

Ethan