Re: xfree

Hi,

Sven Luther wrote:

>What about providing a full set of macintosh XF86Config in the ppc xfree
>packages ?
>
>I guess there is only a limited set of macintosh video boards around, isn't it
>? mostly ATI boards. and for laptops, we can get the config file directly from
>the laptop model, since i doubt anyone changed graphic board on a laptop.
>
>So for configuring X we could add a postinst, that will ask about the computer
>model you have, and use a symlink to provide the X server with the proper
>XF86Config File.

Good idea in principle, but the details of the XF86Config depend on more
than just the UC model: you also need to know what monitor is connected. A
script/application presenting a choice from a list of models of UC (limited
indeed) and monitors (standard Apple ones also limited in number, but
third-party monitor could also be used), which then chooses appropriate
settings from a database and builds an XF86Config would be more useful.

>3.3.6 is out, as soon as branden makes the source package, i will build it for
>ppc. I will try to add the above mentionned script and files, but i am no mac
>user, so please someone with a (or better yet a lot of) mac(s), please send me
>the necessary XF86Config files. I will provide the ones for apus. Fon't know
>what the situation is for prep and chrp and others, but i guess there is no
>such easy solution for them ?

Could you PLEASE build and package all the servers, not just the FBdev one?
The fbdev is not accellerated for my Powerbook's Chips 65550, but the SVGA
one is supposed to be.

On another tack there, I've downloaded and built the 3.9.17 source. It's
not working for me yet, but when (if) it will, how do I go about packaging
and uploading it? Is there a HOWTO?

Ivo