Re: Continuing Annoyances...

> Before I file more bug reports, I thought I'd see whether other
> people are having the same issues I'm having.

Wow, many problems :-)

> 1. gdm locks up the keyboard when started at boot time.
>
>    X starts, gdm comes up, the mouse works, but you can't type.
>    Which also means you can't switch to a virtual terminal to stop
>    and restart gdm.  (Luckily we have three Unix machines in our
>    house, so it's only annoying to have to telnet or ssh in and
>    fix the problem.)

I have the same effect with xdm on an athlon system. Dunno what the
problems is.  Start X on the console with     startx

> 2. Frame buffer console annoyances.
>
>    When my machine starts up, the text is red on a black screen.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   bah!

>    We run fbset from a script in /etc/rc.boot to correct this
>    problem.  The text turns to white on black (hooray), but the
>    cursor is invisible.  Other virtual terminals display in
>    various funky colors.  X starts (with gdm) at the wrong
>    resolution.
>
>       #!/bin/sh
>       # /etc/rc.boot/0fbdev
>       #
>       #  Sets resolution and refresh rate for framebuffer.
>       #    11 Jul 1999 by MEO
>       #
>
>       FBSET=/usr/sbin/fbset
>
>       # If the serial executable has been removed abort the configuration
>       [ -x ${FBSET} ] || exit 0
>
>       echo -n "Configuring frame buffer..."
>
>       # fbset --all 1024x768-75
>       ${FBSET} -a -x -depth 16 1152x864-80
>
>       echo "done."

Known problem.  At startup only the first console exists. So the
/etc/rc.boot/0fbdev can only initialize this one console ( -a is
correct ... but you have only one).

How does it xdm?  Is S99 a special entry? no, don't think so
We have to wait that all 6 (or more) getty's exists.

A short delay for this is a bad idea, an new entry into the
/etc/inittab file isn't also good.

I must write two little scripts, one  configure-fb (mainly for the res.), and
one that will wait for all virt.-consoles (and to restart gpm).

>    If I quit gdm (and the X server) and run the same fbset command
>    line from the /etc/rc.boot/0fbdev script by hand, then restart
>    gdm, I can sometimes get X to come up in the right resolution

Yes, then all virtual-consoles exists, also the one for X11.

>    (sometimes I need to run fbset by hand while X is running, then
>    quit and restart gdm).  Virtual terminals are white text on
>    black background, but no matter what I do, the cursor remains
>    invisible.

Ohh, dunno why.

>    Oh, and the resolution actually used seems to be 1152x870-75.
>    (Or so fbset reports when run with no arguments.)  Note that X
>    misbehaves no matter what fbset reports until after the magical
>    manual fbsets.

Is it possible the -depth 16 ??

> 3. fdutils don't work on PowerMacs?
>
>    it claims to be obsolete and recommends superformat.

Yes, superformat is only for i386 or for powerpc's with intel-like
hardware.

> 5. Does gpm work on PowerMacs?  If so, how should it be
>    configured?
>
>    I have gpm running on my system, as installed from the base
>    install (I assume) and with the arguments it came with
>
>       device=/dev/adbmouse
>       responsiveness=
>       type=ms
             ^^ ?  busmice or so

>       append="-l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""
>
>    It appears to have no effect in console applications that seem
>    like they might use its features, however.

BTW:  add this to your script:

 # fbset --all 1024x768-75
 ${FBSET} -a -x -depth 16 1152x864-80

 /etc/init.d/gpm restart

 echo "done."

> 6. Recent kernels don't work.
>
>    2.2.13 and 2.2.14 (any prerelease patch level -- all from
>    standard kernel sources (i.e., *not* vger kernel source -- and
>    where is that, these days, anyway?) don't produce functional
>    kernels.  They cause a machine check in kernel mode, ``probably
>    due to mm fault with mmu off''.

Bad news. I hope we can fix it.

 vger itself is closed. Try this:

#!/bin/sh