Re: swap, /dev/sda8 and other such stuff ...

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 12:20:43PM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> > potato is getting more and more broken as time pass and packages are compiled
> > with glibc2.1, while glibc2.1 is not officially available in potato. What is
> > holding you back Hartmut ? i guess you are waiting for the FSF to release
> > glibc2.1 after solving the egcs/gcc political stuff ? will they modify glibc,
> > or just wait for a fix in gcc to compile it ?
>
> I can't just upload only the binaries for powerpc for unstable, it must be also
> with the source. The reason is similary to the xfree-3.3.3.1 upload. :-)
>
> If i or Joel Klecker (the libc maintainer) uploads now the source, every auto-builder
> will get this packages and tries to compile it. This is not good for m68k for the
> moment. So we wait, that slink (debian 2.1) will move from state frozen to stable.
> The time-point was last monday, but we delayed it for one week.

ok, so we are waiting the release of slink, and not that the FSF will release
glibc2.1 officially ?

> > Apart from that, has anyone managed to compile gnome stuff on dbeian/ppc ? does
> > the dbuild daemon build it succesfully ? last i tried it built with errors, but
> > then the gnome panel crashed on me. Is this a good package/group of packages i
> > could work on ? After glib/gtk1.2 gets packaged naturally ...
> >
> > Will glib/gtk1.2 get build automatically ?
>
> Gnome is somewhat broken and the auto-builder hasen't get gtk1.2 yet ...

yes, but there is the gnome-gtk staging area, where supposedly people should
test and stabilize gnome/gtk/imlib and related stuff before moving it into
unstable all at once. but it seems to be i386 only, and only debs, no source
available, i complained on the new debian-gtk-gnome mailing list, and lets see
what happens.

Best would be to have such a 'staging area' officially integrated in the debian
tree, and have one for glibc2.1¸ and xfree also ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER