BMAC eth0 dropping packets (was: Debian for PPC problems)

> 2. When telnetting to the mac-linux box i experience frequent shell hangs.
> Simply the screen halts and I can do nothing - sometimes only KILL -9 for
> both telnet and telnetd helps. And yes, i tried CTRL-Q
>
> 3. Something strange seems to be happening to network connections. Namely
> when I try to upload/download a file which is more than a single KB big
> from/to a box standing just a meter away (via FTP), the system refuses to
> transfer it. The same for mail.
> The strangest thing about it is that packages (from ftp.de.debian.org) are
> downloaded just fine now! (They used to get stuck just 2 months ago, then
> after some upgrade I was able to use APT with no problems and now APT does
> not work again - though in some different way :-)

I believe this is a general Linux on PPC problem as I have seen it on
Linux/PPC and Debian.  I recieved the following email stating that
others have seen PPC dropping packets.  A quick hack is to ping the
machine you are downloading from while you download.  I have to do this
every time I upgrade via apt.  I have never had problems with telnet
(actually I use ssh), though.  Look at the following links to see my
original text and another person's text on the subject.  I am running a
Power Mac G3/233 desktop 128MB RAM,BMAC NIC and have tried kernels
through 2.2.13 with various patches.  If anyone knows of something that
may help I would be VERY greatful...

This is what ifconfig states:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
          inet addr:xxx.xxx.241.124  Bcast:xxx.xxx.243.255
Mask:255.255.252.0
          RX packets:5891308 errors:356445 dropped:348739 overruns:0
frame:356390
          collisions:5 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:42 Base address:0x1000

Thanks,