PPC PPP

Hi,

Well, last night, after much tinkering, I finally managed to get PPP
working on my iMac. I was able to upgrade a few packages and surf the web
-- I was quite happy. I even tested pon/poff a few times just to make sure
the system was working.

Today I switch on my iMac hoping to rsync the pmac 2.2.13 tree this
afternoon and -- guess what? -- PPP no longer works. Sigh. I've been trying
to figure out what changed (other than shutting down my machine -- which
seems to be the likely culprit :-P) between last night and today and I
haven't come up with anything.

After testing a few things out in my chatscript, I did determine one thing:
my modem is receiving commands from chat. I can pass ATDT1234567 to my
modem, pick up my phone, and here my modem trying to connect to my ISP.
However, "tail /var/log/messages" doesn't show my modem sending any info
back to chat (e.g., "OK", "ogin:", etc).

Does anyone know what's going on here? Why wouldn't chat be able to receive
information from /dev/ttyS0 if it can send info to it?

Confused,

Nathan Olsen
nolsen@csulb.edu

"It is our nature to put all knowledge into context in order to tell
a story, and to re-create the world by this means."

                     --Edward O. Wilson, _Consilience_