Re: SANE and UMAX scanner on MESH

* Adam C Powell IV (hazelsct@mit.edu) [991015 18:41]:
> Hello again,
>
> So nobody uses a scanner with Debian/PPC, or any other SCSI generic device with
> MESH?  Maybe there were no replies to last Wednesday's post because nobody could
> address my particular setup.  But if someone could answer some basic questions,
> I'd appreciate it very much:
>
>    * Does SCSI generic work at all on PPC, and on MESH?

It works on 53C94, for cd burning, but I was unable to use a scanner
with it. In comp.os.linux.powerpc, I've ask for success stories, and
there is one guy with a beige G3 who was able to use SANE without a
hitch.

>    * Should I be worried that "./MAKEDEV sg" in /dev created sg0 through sg16,
>      not sga, sgb, etc. as in the sane documentation?

AFAIK, you should have both.

>    * Should I be worried that the kernel says "mesh: target 6 aborted" when
>      booting, and doesn't list the scanner in /proc/scsi/scsi?  (The scanner is
>      at ID 6, a zip drive at ID 5, and they both work under MacOS at these IDs.
>      Trouble is, MacOS crashes about every 5-10 minutes when using the scanner
>      and associated utilities, I can work around to make it crash about every 30
>      minutes but it's a pain.)

Oh yes, you should be worried :-) I am unable to use SANE on the 53C94,
but my kernel (and findscanner) did see my scanner. Here is the
problem. It's probably due to a malfunctionning scanner, improper
termination, or bad cables (or maybe the mad magic of SCSI is playing
against you). The fact that it's barely usable on MacOS confirm this, in
my opinion. Try with another terminator, and other cables, with only the
scanner on the SCSI chain. If you have an internal hard drive, don't
forget do unplug it from the chain too.

See above, look at deja.com.

>    * Are there non-obvious things which must be done to enable sane to see the
>      scanner?

Not really. Maybe I'm wrong, anyone? BTW, which version of MacOS are you
using? I remember that some version had a problem with a specific SCSI
ID (5 or 6).

Cheers,

Simon