Re: controlling the load average

Previously Kevin Puetz wrote:
> At the and of apt-get upgrade (which installed about 40 packages! yikes!),
> it finished normally, but within about  10-15 seconds of that load going
> away, my machine began to get choppy again. I managed to get top up (which
> took a while!), and saw at the top of the list, afterstep, with about 80Megs
> of RAM in use (RSS) and steadily climbing and equally high processor usage.

It's not really afterstep, but the afterstep-phase of update-menu. What
happens is that update-menu runs the scripts in /etc/menu-methods,
and the process-name you see in ps is also the script-name. In your
case afterstep, but it could have been any of the scripts there.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl