Re: Lombard status update

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999, John Whitley <whitley@cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

>     -- sleeps the laptop just fine, but various things are not reset
>	correctly or are outright hosed on wakeup:
>	* sound vanishes after sleep/wakeup, and doesn't come back.

Known problem on both wallstreet and lombard.

>	* trackpad settings (e.g. "trackpad notap") are not preserved

Normal behaviour. On wakeup, all ADB devices are reset to their bootup
settings (the driver has no way to know that the trackpad setting was
changed from userland). I personally use a hacked version of Paul's pmud
that sleeps when I close the lid. This deamon will execute a root script
on sleep/wakeup and also when plugging/unplugging the power cord. I use
the script to re-do the trackpad stuff when necessary (I personally like
the tapping feature), the hdparm -p -d1 -u1, etc...

I don't know if Paul released a version of pmud yet, if he did, make sure
to remove the "nap mode" stuff from the scripts, it's not compatible with
our recent machines.

If you can't find pmud, then wrap snooze in a script that does the
cleanup operations. (It's also good to ifdown eth0 and ppp, just in case,
before going to sleep).

I beleive we do need some kind of apmd for PowerBooks. Paul's pmud could
be a good start, I'd like to add the ability to monitor the eth link
status too (so I can automatically change my default interface and
settings depending on the presence of the ethernet), and the ability to
have various settings script tied to different locations (work, home,
road, ...) I don't think the eth driver will make the link status
available to userland (am I wrong ?). I'll look into all that stuff when
I have finished with the new booters (may take a while since I also want
to write this lib for accessing mac resources and write a keymap
conversion tool to convert Apple's keymaps into linux ones once for all
countries).

--
           Perso. e-mail: <mailto:bh40@calva.net>
           Work   e-mail: <mailto:benh@mipsys.com>