putting screen to sleep

ok, with the rash of people talking about putting their laptop screens
to sleep properly, I was wondering if anyone knows how to put a regular
display into actual "sleep" mode?

I'm not running an X11 desktop on the head of the machine, but tend to
use X servers on remote machines to get things done. So, basically, the
console sits there.

Now, normally I would just hit the power switch on the monitor. Problem
is, the machine is a 5400, which has the monitor integrated -- thus no
separate power switch.

So. Anyone have any possible suggestions/solutions?

Oh...as a second question, what does it mean when I attempt to telnet
into the computer, and the only response I get is "telnetd: All network
ports in use."?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeremiah Merkl
-University of Lethbridge Student Computer Labs