Re: RS6000

Greetings...

    David> Hi, at the office (Linuxcare) we got a new toy: RS6000, 4
    David> processors, 2 gigs of memory, 6x9 gig scsi disks.

Is this one of IBM's new Pizzaz boxes?

    David> Naturally, I'd like to put Debian on it (in addition to
    David> Yellow Dog, that we are officialy supporting).  So... I
    David> looked at:

I tried getting Debian up on a B50, but was unsuccessful as I couldn't get
the kernel to take.  If you have access to a working Yellow Dog kernel
(I don't think it is publicly available yet), I suggest you get the machine
booted and running Linux, and then do a manual install (I had to do this with
my Blue G3, so the process should be similar).

The steps should be something like the following:

    1) Boot the machine w/ the Yellow Linux disks.

    2) Get networking running, and NFS mount a remote machine w/ the base
       install tar.

    3) Partition the local drives, and format them.

    4) Mount the drives as you want them (e.g. /mnt, /mnt/usr).

    5) Untar the base installation onto the newly partitioned drive.

    6) Fix the fstab on the new installation.

    7) Reboot into single user mode using the Yellow Dog kernel.

To make the above easier, you might try getting a full Yellow Dog Linux
install going before hand, so that if something goes wrong w/ the Debian
install, you can mount the Debian filesystem and tweak as necessary.

I hope that helps.

Alexander