Re: Real Time Device and kernel 2.2.11

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Matt Porter wrote:
> > > Oh, right, right!  The PPC world doesn't revolve around Apple. :)
> >
> > Apple people do have the prestige of being extremely noisy about their PPC
> > systems for being such a _small_ part of the PPC chip market.  The desktop
> > folks have always been this way while the embedded systems continue to run
> > the world. :)
>
> Do you have the numbers available? I guess there are more embedded PPCs and
> Coldfires than ia32 compatible CPUs in the world.

No real numbers.  I know I've seen many numbers in hard copy over the
years, though.  For just PowerPC alone, they are in Ford control modules
to Zenith set top boxes to cellular infrastructure.  Since a Nintendo is
an embedded application, you'll have to count the millions of those once
the new generation is released to the consumer market.  Now if you count
all 68ks, HC11/05's, etc. out there, the desktop market looks pretty
small...and that's just Moto chips.  What about MIPs, ARM, etc. that are
almost exclusively embedded apps?  ia32 has its place in embedded, but it
is mostly in the space that needs compatibility with the popular desktop
architecture and has no power considerations.  This doesn't fit the
majority of embedded applications.

MS certainly is not wasting their time with the push into the embedded
space, the software end of things is filled with a bunch of tiny companies
when compared to MS.

--
Matt Porter                                       Motorola Computer Group
matt_porter@mcg.mot.com                           CIBU Linux Support