Re: XF86_FBDev and gpm for a Lombard

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 11:20:28PM -0700, Brian Kidder wrote:
> I'm trying to finish up a debian installation on a PowerBook G3/400
> (Lombard), but am having a lot of trouble with both X and the
> trackpad.
>
> Can anyone help me figure out how to configure both?  Preferably, can you
> send me your XF86Config and gpm.conf files (and which versions of both
> your using)?

I'm using Debian on a PowerBook G3/266 (Wallstreet II) and had similar
problems with X.  I had to switch over to the kernel found here:
http://gdr.free.fr/linux.html
before I got anywhere (I'm not sure if it really made a difference, I
haven't checked X on the Debian 2.2.9 kernel since I got it working).
Since then I've recompiled the kernel using 2.2.10 and the atyfb patches
suggested there.

The first thing I noticed... there's no way to configure X!
XF86Config, XF86Setup, xf86config, XConfigurator... looked
everywhere, installed every X11 package I could think of (I'm booted
in MacOS right now so I can't check exactly what I've got, but I've
got the basics and much more) I wound up using the last vestiges of my
Linux/PPC installation to configure X and stole /etc/X11/XF86Config
from there.  It mostly works, had to fiddle with the font paths.

So, exactly how is one expected to configure X?  I think someone
earlier commented that since the Frame Buffer X driver wasn't as touchy
as others, it wasn't necessary to have an X configuration program.

Trust me, it is.  I would have -no- idea where to start writing
XF86Config from scratch.  So how 'bout it?  Add an X config program
pleeeeeeeease?

--

Michael G Schwern                                           schwern@pobox.com
                    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern