Re: About PowerPC processors

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:

> Cort Dougan wrote:
> >
> > If you think it's hard finding a price then try to actually purchase one.
> > Once you get a salesperson to admit they exist getting them to sell you one
> > is a good fight :)
> >
> > } Out of curiousity, what is the general price range on MTX's?  I spent a
> > } while digging around and could not find price listings on either
> > } Motorolla's or AVNet's sites.
>
> Motorola has to OK your purchase before you can even get a quote. It's a
> LONG *LONG* process, and a ROYAL pain in the ass. I've spoken to the
> right people in the past, and as of about a month and a half ago, you're
> looking at around $5500 for a dual 604e/400 MTX+, $4300 for a dual
> 604e/300 MTX+, and $1300 for a 603/133 MTX.

It's only a PITA because it's intended for OEM customers.  Like perhaps a
Lockheed who might commit to 2000 MTX+ units a month.  Onesies/twosies go
through a distributor.  Everybody tells me that Avnet should have no
problem selling singles...I think they only do large volume web sales
though and you'd have to call in to them to get a single unit price on the
ones they inventory.

As prj mentioned before (maybe later in this thread), MCG builds the
machines to order.  Unfortunately, nobody with the ear of upper management
has shown a strong business case for a consumer-priced Linux PPC board.
It's been done before (Starmax), so it's just getting past the risk.  The
best thing people could to is let the MCG people at LinuxWorld know what
you want.  Please don't bother the engineers in the booth since we have
already been heard.  We'll point you to the Marcom folks and/or the CEO
who will all be there.  A revival of the old petition for PPC boxes would
help and maybe posts (not rants) to MCG Web Forums
(http://www.mcg.mot.com/linux).

I think that one route to a PPC box would be if some people could convince
VA or P. Computing (or another Linux hardware OEM) to enter a deal with
MCG for volume motherboards.  That would be something MCG couldn't pass
up, I think.

Enough rambling...
--
Matt Porter