Re: pm2 acceleration patch for X -> Debian?

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 01:08:27AM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> Has anyone submitted the Permedia2 acceleration patch to the Debian X
> maintainer?  It'd be nice to get it into potato (I'm assuming XF86 4.0
> won't make it in there, of course...).

No i haven't, but i sent it to xfree, to be included in 3.3.4, who was
uspposed to be released really soon now. I think 3.3.4 will go into
potato, not sure though. I can make a debian X patch didn't made it
because i was working on Xfree version, and didn't have a debian X
tree around to make the diff. If you think it is useful, I could make
it.

In the mean time, just grab the latest XF68_FBDev from :

http://dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr/~luther/xfree/

XF68_FBDev_pm2_4 should do just fine, but check the corresponding
readme file to see what is in each one of those.

Just copy the binary in /usr/X11R6/bin and change the
/etc/X11/Xserver file accordingly.

Jesper could you add the following FAQ somewhere ?

 Q. How to get an pm2 accelerated X server for debian.
 A. get the XF68_FBDev_pm2_4 or later file from

    http://dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr/~luther/xfree/

    and copy it to your /usr/X11R6/bin directory. Check the readme
	 files on the web site to see what each of those XF68_FBdev_pm2
	 files contain. Then you need to edit /etc/X11/Xserver, and change
	 the first line to be the absolute path to the Xserver (should be
    /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev_pm2_4 in our case, but you can put it
	 anywhere you want, or rename it to your liking).

	 There are various Xserver in the above dir, some contains GC
	 acceleration, very fast but still some graphical problems, other
	 have GC acceleration disabled. It is up to you to choose which one
	 you want. Read the readme file to check.

	 Notice : this patch will be in the nect release of Xfree 3.3.4, so
	 you will not need to do this then.

And another :

 Q. I am new to linux, where can i find information about the unix
    command line syntax.
 A. There are a lot of HOWTO's available at the Linux Documentation
    Project, available at : http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/. One in
	 particular is useful for first timer, altough it is more oriented
	 to msdos upgraders, it is the "DOS/Win to Linux HOWTO", available
	 at : http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html

	 Notice : these howtos can be found in the following debian
	 packages :

	 doc/doc-linux-text_xxx.deb for the text version
	 doc/doc-linux-html_xxx.deb for the html version.

	 There are also lots of translation packages :

	 doc/doc-linux-fr_xxx.deb for example for the french version.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER