Re: XEmacs configuration

[This message has also been posted.]
On 26 Jun 99 18:27:51 +1000, David Fong <vkelim@onaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>...however XEmacs21 still doesn't completely work as advertised. Its
>internal environment variable pointing to the `Docs' directory is wrong
>(I think docs are in /usr/info/xemacs-21.1-p2, not a sub-directory of
>/usr/lib/xemacs-21.1-p2/), and various bindings are not established.
>
>For example, the `Open File' icons and `Open File' menu item do
>not work!, although various other icons and menu choices do.
>
>Also, xemacs-support is supposed to have AucTeX (the kitchen sink
>approach), but I am Debian-PowerPC version doesn't seem to.

The entire xemacs21 package is severely broken on all architectures.
A new maintainer has taken over and should be fixing things.

In the meantime, I'd recommend emacs20, but the -el and binary
packages are out-of-sync (the powerpc build daemon seems hopelessly
confused at the moment), so it probably won't install properly unless
you tell dpkg to ignore the dependencies.

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence         |        Get your Debian 2.1 CD-ROMs        |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>    |         http://www.lordsutch.com/         |
|    Amiga A4000 604e/233Mhz    |    This address has been spam-proofed.    |
|     with Linux/APUS 2.2.8     |     All spam goes to your postmaster.     |