Re: but I *don't* have 12M SGRAM!

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> A strange thing happens here, I just bought a xclaim 3d (rage pro) 4M, with
> 4M upgrade. X works fine, even in accel mode (though I noticed a problem:
> I have to fbset -a to the resolution I want, and virtual resolution had to
> be the same size). All in all, there's no problem, but I wonder why both
> kernel and X (though X probably reports what the kernel says) report 12M
> SGRAM when I know I have 8.
>
> dmesg: output
> atyfb: 3D RAGE PRO (BGA, PCI) [0x4749 rev 0x7c] 12M SGRAM, 230 MHz PLL, \
> 100 Mhz  MCLK

If atyfb incorrectly reports the memory size, please use

    video=atyfb:vram:8192

The fact that you have to disable the virtual screen indicates that you really
have less than 12 MB. The question is why the ATI thinks you have 12 MB.
Perhaps you got the wrong kind of memory expansion? If `video=atyfb:vram:8192'
still gives you problems, that would be an indicator.

Greetings,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be