Re: XFree86 and ATI accel.

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 10:13:15PM -0700, bigj wrote:

> > > XF86_FBDev accellerated? Or just I should give parameter in XF86Config
> > > and/or BootX and/or fbset ? (I'm really new to Mac hardware :)
> >
> > You must use atyfb to get acceleration on ATI Mach64.
> >

> Geert et al,
>    The problem is not as simple.  The G3 laptops have a different kind of
> video chip then other ATI based machines.  On my laptop the chip is
> /pci/ATY,264LT-G and even though I use fb0: (after adding my chip_id to
> the atyfb.c) I still don't get any acceleration with X.  Now if memory

That is normal ...

You are using atyfb, and it works fine isn't it ? what is the output of fbset
-i when you use atyfb ? Also you said you added the identity of your chip to
atyfb.c, but the Xserver has to be aware of that also.

Atyfb should set a var.accel flag, that is the one the Xserver recognizes.
actually i think the following are supported for mach64 chips :

FB_ACCEL_ATI_MACH64CT
FB_ACCEL_ATI_MACH64VT
FB_ACCEL_ATI_MACH64GT

i guess you should add a

FB_ACCEL_ATI_MACH64LT flag, but this should first be fixed in atyfb, and once
that is done, send it to me, and i will update the Xserver accordyingly, or
maybe someone else can do it, because my partition were i was keeping X stuff
has some kind of problems recently.

please do it quickly if you want it to be in X 3.3.4 ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER