Re: HORROR!: System in unstable state....

For people on debian-powerpc not following debian-hurd the start of
the thread can be found here:
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-hurd-9906/msg00088.html

                                ---

I recently had problems with libnfslock on a powerpc machine[1] i was
installing; my machine didn't lock up like your hurd system, but it
caused quite a few things to segfault.  I just removed the entry from
/etc/ld.so.preload and things were happy again.  I don't know if the
hurd problems are directly related to the ppc problem, but maybe
there's something related somewhere in here... :)

One of the programs that segfaulted was hostname, so i decided to use
it as a test case for debugging.  But, as soon as I recompiled it
(with -g and without) the segfaulting went away.

I'll need to investigate this later when I have more time, but if
anyone else has ideas that would be great.

p.s. libnfslock works just fine on my i386 box with the same package
versions.

-aaron

Footnotes:
[1]  System Information
Debian Release: potato
Architecture: powerpc
Kernel: Linux (none) 2.2.7 #9 Tue May 25 23:32:59 CEST 1999 ppc
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 Debian GNU/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

Package: libnfslock
Version: 0.1-6

Package: hostname
Version: 2.04

Versions of packages hostname depends on:
ii  libc6           2.1.1-11       GNU C Library: Shared libraries and timezone

--
aaron .'. culich (aculich@hampshire.edu)
http://hampshire.edu/~alcF93/