Re: Request proof-reading: installing Debian over LinuxPPC

> > (make sure the file is not gzipped, as there is no decompression
> > utility onboard at the moment).

oops -- i was mistaken about the gzip.  after double-checking the
ramdisk i found gzip hiding in there....

> Aha, well, I'm glad I didn't do the LinuxPPC installation for nothing,
> then. :>  I wouldn't have been able to do this on my system.  IIRC, HFS+
> is not supported, so I wouldn't have had anything mountable that I could
> have gotten the base tarball from!

another alternative assuming you've got an ethernet card and another
machine you can talk to is to do:

ifconfig 192.168.23.17 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

(or whatever your IP/NETMASK combo is)

and then:

mount -t nfs 192.168.23.23:/mirrors/debian /mnt/debian

just put the base2_1 tarball some place you can NFS mount and you're
set-- in my case i went a little modem-crazy and did an entire mirror
of the i386 and powerpc arms of potato on my i386 box. :)

-aaron

p.s. i'm cc'ing this to the list, cause it could be useful to whoever
might be following this thread if they also have that HFS+ issue...