Re: Request proof-reading: installing Debian over LinuxPPC

(I didn't see that the mail I responded to was Cc:'ed to the list.)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:01:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Ono <wmono@home.com>
To: "aaron .'. culich" <aculich@hampshire.edu>
Subject: Re: Request proof-reading: installing Debian over LinuxPPC

On 14 Jun 1999, aaron .'. culich wrote:

> (except the BootX-hd.jpg image is broken).

That's odd, I just checked my Apache error.log and didn't find an error.
I think it must have been due to overload .. my web server normally takes
something on the order of three hits a day, so I keep the number of
processes loaded very low.  Now, though, in the space of ten minutes I saw
24 requests.  Whew!

> 1) a note about setting up X (i.e. copying and tweaking
> /usr/doc/xserver-common/examples/XF86Config.eg to /etc/X11/XF86Config)

Yes, that's a good idea, but it's also something I haven't managed to do
on my own system. :>  (The FBDev server aborts with Signal 11 immediately
after rejecting two of three modelines.)

> 2) installing Debian without having to pre-install LinuxPPC

I looked into doing this, but I found that the LinuxPPC initrd comes with
very, very little software.  I couldn't find tar, I found that rm was a
symlink to /bin/install2, and I saw a whole bunch of other neat hacks to
minimize the installer :>

> If you think #2 would be useful to some people, I'd be glad to write
> up the full procedure for you to include.

I would love to include this on the page.

Thanks for your response!

--
William Ono <wmono@home.com>                               PGP key: 0x93BA6AFD
 fingerprint = E3 64 C5 43 3E B3 2D A6  C6 D7 E3 45 90 24 78 DE = fingerprint