Re: Installing Debian base2_2.tgz (fwd)

--- Begin Message ---
Thank you William for your very prompt and detailed reply!

The information you provided is very handy, especially for Linux
novices such as myself.

However, I think you must have missed out some little detail in
your notes, because my Debian still doesn't boot successfully.

The boot-up process stops after reporting that there are no local file
systems to mount (Debian has already reported that it had mounted by
root partition). I did copy my /etc/fstab (and modified it) as advised.
Debian does not complain, it just stops!

Any ideas?

Cheerio, David.

[http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-powerpc-9902/msg00100.html]

>    fact that it says base2_1.tgz there.  I had to use cat>file here,
>    because the distribution I hijacked -- LinuxPPC R4 -- didn't have vi.
>    (Hopefully you have a half-working system you can mount your to-be root
>    partition under to do this.  Remember that unconfigured.sh needs to
>    be zapped.
>- Reboot, using your partially-working root partition.
>- Enter runlevel S (type 'S').
>- remount root read-write. (mount -o rw,remount /)

[I used `mount -t ext2 -o remount /dev/sda6 /', of course /dev/sda6
applies to my system only]

>- if you have other partitions, remount them rw now too.
>- mount /proc
>- configure your network.  (I had created a /etc/init.d/network on
>    the previous reboot, which I ran at this point.  I don't think you
>    have done this yet. Just run the appropriate ifconfig and route
>    commands, or however you configure your network.)
>- cat > /etc/apt/sources.list
>    Add appropriate entries here.  You want unstable, because there's
>    no powerpc in stable (slink).
>- dselect
>    - Configure pre-installed packages
>        (Now you have a /etc/inittab and all that other stuff.)
>    - Update packages list.
>- fix libc6:  apt-get install libc6
>- fix bash.  This is a little complicated.  You can choose not to upgrade
>    bash or any packages that bash depends on, or you can do something
>    similar to this.
>       - unpack the new bash .deb but do not install it. (dpkg -x)

[I used dpkg -x (path to bash.deb including filename) /home]

>       - apt-get install bash   (hey, it broke!)

[well, I used dpkg again, and a segmentation fault occurred]

>       - mv /bin/bash /bin/bash-old
>       - mv /where/you/did/dpkg-x/bin/bash /bin/bash
>       - apt-get install bash   (this time it should work.)

[dpkg worked this time! What is more, during shutdown, Debian didn't
complain that `/' was still busy. In fact, shutdown was successful
despite the earlier segmentation fault. I can see a light at the end of
the tunnel now... :) ]

>- Now upgrade other packages, if you wish.

>I hope this is useful to you.

[Thanks again]

>--
>William Ono <wmono@home.com>                               PGP key:

David P.S. Fong - Traralgon, 3844, Australia.
Dr.David.Fong@medical.net.au - Surfing and working - Amiga 1200 and Newton
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/ - PGP public key available

--- End Message ---