Re: Installing Debian base2_2.tgz

> On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 08:00:30PM +1000, David Fong wrote:

> > Having had heaps of trouble trying to install new Debian packages on
> > top of base2_1 (Debian slink), I am having a go at installing base2_2
> > (Debian potato).
> >
> > Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a boot-up script in the tgz
> > file.

David,

I just ran across this same problem when trying to make Debian run on my
iMac.  This message in the archives had the information I needed:

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-powerpc-9902/msg00100.html

To summarize that mail, you need to create a few important files then
reboot, then tell init to enter runlevel S.  After that, run dselect and
configure the pre-installed packages.

You should also read

... /debian-powerpc-9905/msg00005.html    and
... /debian-powerpc-9905/msg00010.html

for information on how to avoid breaking your system.  After some
experimentation (and much reformatting and reinstalling) I have discovered
that the following, to be done immediately after the pre-installed
packages are configured, will solve those problems:

- Install new libc6: apt-get install libc6
- Unpack the new bash .deb, but not on top of the old one.  Don't install
   it yet.  Copy the bash binary somewhere safe, maybe /bash-new.  (I used
   alien on another machine for this, then ftp'd the binary to my iMac.)
- apt-get install bash  .. and expect maintainer scripts to break.
- mv /bin/bash /bin/bash-old
- mv /bash-new /bin/bash
- apt-get install bash  .. and hopefully this time it'll work.

(By the way, if anyone knows a better procedure for this, I would be
delighted to hear it!)

I hope this helps.

--
William Ono <wmono@home.com>                               PGP key: 0x93BA6AFD
 fingerprint = E3 64 C5 43 3E B3 2D A6  C6 D7 E3 45 90 24 78 DE = fingerprint