Re: XFree86 just broke on PB3400 (Fri 5/28/99 AM (US))

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Mike James wrote:

> Hi, everyone--
>
> On 5/29/99 at 4:21 PM -0500, in response to my original problem statement--
>
> > > X worked great on my PB3400 until yesterday morning (5/28/99 ~9:00
> > > AM CDT US). That's when I did an "apt-get upgrade" while in
> > > WindowMaker. I didn't
> > > (--) FBDev: Using cfb16 driver
> > >
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> --Robert Ramiega <robert@plukwa.pdi.net> wrote:
>
> > I think that it's mkfontdir problem (xbase-clients package). It should
> > create files fonts.alias in fonts directory and for some uknown to me
> > reason it doesn't...
> >
> > Quick fix is to create /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias file
> > with :
> > fixed \
> > -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1 inside.
>
> I had inadvertently already implemented Robert's fix--this line is already
> the top entry in my misc/fonts.alias file, but my problem remains. startx
> gets as far as the X in the center of the screen, and then the server dies.
>
> I'm not completely sure my XFConfig is right. I got it working before by
> changing values in it until X started working. You see my problem: I wasn't
> even sure why X was working before, so I'm really not sure why it isn't now
> <g>.
>

> Mike

You actually had an XFConfig? I ended up having to copy the one out of the
examples directory. It's still not quite right (can't get 2nd and 3rd
mouse button mappings working at all) but I can at least get an XFree
started.

ahh, growing pains, ain't they wonderful? :)

-Jeremiah Merkl